Mr. Barnes also built the icehouse in about 1880. Charlestown’s most prominent history occurred during the colonial period and to just after the Revolutionary War (1742–1790). The Charles Town Library has existed for nearly 100 years. Frame Ice House (CE-1299): This ice house was built in 1890 by Perry K. Barnes. The house is two stories high with a main section that is three bays by two bays. The town of Charles Town was established in 1742 by Act of the Maryland Assembly because, to quote the Act, “the encouragement of Trade and Navigation is the surest means of promoting the happiness and increasing the riches of every country . The wharf serves as a practical reminder of the part that Charlestown and the North East River played in the commercial history of Maryland. Lackey-Murphy House (CE-1301): Located on Baltimore Street, this structure was originally constructed in 1750. There was a one room addition constructed in 1830. He was born on May 5, 1815, the son of Thomas and Catherine (nee Moore) Burnside, who were married on January 28, 1813. The 1970 Whig article goes on: "For 125 years, the Indian Queen was occupied by the families of Major John Nelson Black. In the mid-1800's there were free blacks with the last name of "Johnson" living in Charlestown. Pictured are John B. Graham and family friend, Nellie Clark Black. This church is distinguished by its geometric patterned stained glass windows. (Pinckney P. Black and Edna Maude Black, 1885 Below, Isabella Ewing Black, circa 1890 behind the store at Charlestown, Maryland.). Paca served in many public offices and was a delegate to the lower house of the Maryland General Assembly. His father, Henry Townes, was a lawyer and newspaper editor. The settlement, originally called Charles Towne (for Charles II), was established by English colonists in 1670 on the west bank of the Ashley, thus beginning the colonization of South Carolina. Charles Town, WV Weather History star_ratehome. He expanded the business to include the restaurant and bar on the right side of the building. In 1776, he was commissioned as a Captain of the 5th Company of the Maryland 1st Regiment. There is a hexagonal, clapboard icehouse in the rear yard. "This is the fastest boat of them all, and when its blows my breeze, I'm ready for all comers." It was a hotel from its earliest days well into the late 1800s, later being called the "Valentine B. Algard Hotel." 1. The portrait was painted in the Indian Queen Hotel.). The house is located on a low bluff that overlooks the Northeast River. The house was once thought to have been an 18th-century tavern run by “Tories” and confiscated during the Revolution but this legend has since been proven to be untrue. The structure is listed as one of the old inns of Charlestown along the Old Post Road, now MD Route 267. Both the Perry K. Barnes house and the icehouse remain today in essentially the same condition as when they were constructed. . Shelton House (CE-1303): This house was constructed in 1872. . In 1790, Maryland's General Assembly was considering the removal of the post office and the straightening of the Old Post Road, thus bypassing Charles Town. Other distinguished Charlestown residents included John Paca, the brother of William Paca and George Read, the father of Charles Read. Town History - Cape Charles The Eastern Shore of Virginia, one of the earliest colonized areas in North America, remained a seafood and agricultural region with scattered small towns until the 1880s. During the War of 1812, the British sailed into the Charlestown harbor, which contained a small, deteriorated fort. Varied and wide shiplap siding with beaded edges covers the façades of the buildings. Deed research notes that a dwelling was built on Lot 107 of the Town’s original 1742 plat. Charles Washington and his family moved to Happy Retreat in 1780 and set aside 80 acres to form Charles Town, officially founded in 1786. It was a brick house constructed during the colonial period of Charlestown. Nancy Meek Hasson Black was born in Port Deposit, Maryland, on April 22, 1778. This home, built in about 1787 by Town Commissioner William Linton, is where George Washington stopped on his journeys through town, when the property was used as a tavern. To learn more about these historic sites, please download the attached brochure and begin your walking … That area in 1797 became known as Brooke County, with that "Charlestown" as its county seat until a December 27, 1816 act of the Virginia General Assembly changed its name to Wellsburg, to honor a trader and his son. Ella and Otha Gibson had one child, Robert Gibson, who was born in 1918. They prospered so well that the brothers had this home built for their mother. It is a rambling frame structure built in 1760 and was one of Maryland’s early rum distilleries. Photograph courtesy of Mr. and Mrs. J. Cranford Henry, Charlestown, Maryland. Stone walls underpin the log structure creating a cellar, keeping room. Older records mention that there was a house at the location “built in the Dutch fashion.” Apparently the early building was partially destroyed and rebuilt around 1810 and the present two-story, three bay structure with side hall and double parlor plan was built atop the remains. In addition, the “Charlestown Warehouse” also existed on this site. Charles Town is featured on the Washington Heritage National Trail Scenic Byway. The structure was supposedly built in 1762 but has been altered. The famous “Maryland Line” was known for its bravery and heroics during the war. The building has a gable roof and five bays. Open to the public, the library provides a full range of library services that includes book borrowing privileges, a reading room, reference services, internet access, a local history room, audio-visual materials, specialized programs for children and adults. The history of Charleston, South Carolina, is one of the longest and most diverse of any community in the United States, spanning hundreds of years of physical settlement beginning in 1670 through modern times. The house’s construction is thought to be influenced by high Victorian architecture from San Francisco. Hamilton built this home in 1751. Copyright (c) 2020 Town of Charlestown MD. Mr. Henry is the grandson of Isabella Ewing Black. With the availability of raw sugar and rum in Charles Town, it is easy to understand how there were as many as ten taverns operating at one time in the town. A two-room school house was erected in 1878 and housed grades one through six until June 14, 1961, when the Board of Education deeded the property to the Town. ), (Lot 40 "The McKown House" Photograph circa 1920, courtesy of Nancy Black Beck, Springfield, Virgina.). John Paca was a major landowner and purchased the lot in Charles Town as an investment. (George Cooper and Harry H. Barnes (right) repainting decoys for the upcoming season. Charlestown is the oldest Town in Cecil County and the third oldest town in the State of Maryland. Warehouse Site (CE-390); Customs House Site (CE-391); Charlestown Wharf Site (CE-392); and Charlestown Wharf (CE-1297): In 1742, when the colonial Maryland Assembly enacted a law to build Charles Town at Long Point on the Northeast River, it also enacted a law to build a wharf for shipping and commerce. Like other members of the Barnes family, he too was drawn to the North East River to fish, hunt, and otherwise enjoy its natural bounties. During this time (1782 – 1787) Charlestown was also the county seat for Cecil County. The building was erected in about 1755. Mary Palmer Tavern (CE-398; circa 1790): This house was constructed during the late 18th Century and was one of the Town’s many taverns. This portrait accompanies that of her second husband.). In 1763, Hollingsworth subdivided the lot and sold the section where the brick mansion now stands to Thomas Jacobs, who was a miller by trade. Samuel McNear House (CE-383): This is a frame structure that is two stories high located on Baltimore Street. (Harry H. Barnes, at home circa 1917, and right, with Snake Heverin, circa 1945, courtesy of J. Cranford Henry, Charlestown, Maryland.). During Revolutionary War times, the Indian Queen was owned by the Hasson family, a prominent Charles Town family. At the time of Charles’ death in September 1799, Charlestown was still located in Berkeley County. The Village Blacksmith Shop, formerly located on the northeast corner of the Market Square. Linton House (CE-110; circa 1787): Located at 316 Market Street, the “Linton House” was constructed by Charlestown Commissioner William Linton in 1787. Prior to this date, it was identified as New Crawford Town. Charles Town (population 2,907) is the county seat of Jefferson County and was founded in 1786 by Charles Washington, brother of George Washington. . This photograph courtesy of J. Cranford Henry, Charlestown, Maryland. During the Revolutionary War, Charles Town was a major supply depot for the Continental Army. Charlestown Town Hall and Post Office (CE-388): Located on Market Street and constructed in 1878, the building served as an elementary school site until June 14, 1961. Double parlors have two massive corner fireplaces, which are back-to-back. See Article History. His home was located just to the southeast of the store, where he and his wife, Ann Cooling, lived. The town is known for its Maroon history and culture, its Safu Yard, the Charles Town Drummers and Dancers, the Maroon Museum, as well as its tour of the area educating visitors on the history … A fort of earth works was erected on this site at the beginning of the War of 1812. Down in the cellar, the large stone foundation of the chimney is ten feet square. It is a three story, three bay structure side hall plan with a four bay wing off the south side. The two-story construction has each floor divided into four rooms. In the late 19th Century, the McKeown brothers left Charlestown, making their fortunes in the western part of the United States from gambling in Nevada. George Cooper and Harry H. Barnes remained friends throughout the years. The family moved to Cecil County, where John Nelson Black grew up and in 1807 was commissioned a company officer in the county militia. At this time, the land that became the Town of Cape Charles consisted of farmlands and wetlands. John Nelson Black Jr. was born at the family home in Charles Town on January 27, 1818, the second son of Major John Nelson Black and Nancy Meek Hasson Black. The Washington Family’s investment in the region began in the mid-1700s. Following the war, Ramsay had a distinguished public service career including a term as Maryland Congressional representative (1786-1788), United States Marshal for Maryland and as an Officer of the Port of Baltimore. Charlestown evolved as a major port and taxation center for the British colony as well as a point along the “Old Post Road” that connected the Town with larger urban areas such as Baltimore and Philadelphia. Charlestown experienced a gradual decline from 1780 through 1820, which was caused by decreased trade and shipping with the British Empire. The house has a slate roof with well fitted, bevel siding and millwork, stone chimneys and a concrete foundation. ), The Home of Harry Housekeeper and Pauline Barnes, (The photograph above was taken to be used as Christmas Card that was sent in 1939 to Nancy Black Beck, and shows the home of Harry H. & Pauline Barnes.). Without doubt the grandest house in Charlestown, this home was built in about 1900. It has undergone several rehabilitations. ), (Nancy Meek Hasson Black (1778-1860), circa 1816, by unknown artist, probably Joshua Johnson, courtesy of Edgar McMullen, Charlestown, Maryland. John’s Methodist Episcopal Church” was constructed in 1856. Hamilton House (CE-107; circa 1755): The house was one of the oldest in Charlestown and was constructed by John Kankey. Like the people it has served for generations, its history has highs and lows, positive and negative events. In the rear of the structure was a log kitchen and chimney. On July 30, 1853, Thomas E. Burnside purchased the property. According to his journal, which was written in 1836 and 1837, young Thomas was quite the eligible bachelor. Shown here from left to right are Marcel Cathers, George Cooper, Harry H. Barnes, and John Cooper, circa 1925. Several significant buildings exist on the site. In August, 1777, the town was bombarded as a diversionary tactic while General Sir William Howe’s troops sailed up the Elk River to effect a landing. Charles Towne on the Cape Fear River was the first overseas effort to colonize the Carolinas after the 1663 Carolina grant from Charles II to the eight Lords Proprietors.As early as 1662, William Hilton had explored the Cape Fear River (briefly called the Charles River) for the Adventurers about Cape Fayre, a group of Puritans from the Massachusetts Bay Colony. MARYLAND'S CHARLES TOWN, 1742 AND BEYOND, A PICTURAL TOUR OF ITS HISTORY by GERARD "ROD" WITTSTADT, JR, ESQUIRE, Gerard William Wittstadt, Jr., Esquire (c)2021, Lot 1, "The Still House," also known as "The Locust". It is located on Water Street and was built by George Shelton. Left to right Nancy Black, June Guiberson (both girls on roller skates); Otas Murphay; unknown; Richard K. Barnes; Harry Clayton; Will Heverin; and Dick Barnes. Photographs courtesy of Robert Gibson, Chesapeake City, Maryland. Maryland Historical Trust records indicate that the warehouse was used for the storage of goods shipped from the Charlestown Harbor. From about 1915 through 1930, the Barnes Store was the gathering place for the men of the town. The interior of the house maintains dark wood paneling which extends up two 15’ walls. It is located at Water Street near the Charlestown’s Veteran’s Park. Hamilton was elected to serve as a town commissioner. The building is a handsome brick structure of Flemish bond with a gable roof and five bays. William Sayle was their leader and first governor from 1670 to 1671. . It was used for seasonal duck hunters on the Susquehanna Flats in the 19th and early 20th Centuries. He was married to Margaret Jane Peale, sister of Charles Willson Peale. The settlers fortified their town and raised crops. Major Black was born in Chester County, Pennsylvania, on February 16, 1787, the son of John and Rebecca Black. The water tower pictured left was originally located behind the home and can be seen just to the right rear of the home behind the side porch. The Wellwood Club is a frame structure with formal rooms in the columned front section and rows of dormitory style bedrooms in the rear wing. He owned and operated a general store in Charlestown from 1913 until his death in 1934. It is located at 315 Market Street. It is a two-story frame Federal structure sitting on a high stone foundation. Not only did the Barnes family find the North East River a source of fair income when the river froze, it also provided Harry H. Barnes with an opportunity to challenge his neighbors to a daring race. (Photograph left, Perry K. Barnes, circa 1917, holding two geese in front of his home in Charlestown, courtesy of J. Cranford Henry, Charlestown, Maryland. We are documenting this history and recording, when we can, the voices of those who experienced it firsthand. This “deep sleep” allowed for the preservation of many of the Town’s historic resources into the present time. Many distinguished Charlestown residents tore down their houses and moved to Baltimore in disgust when the Town’s status as county seat was stripped away in favor of a town at the head of the Elk River – Elkton. Post House/Holloway House (CE-384; 18th Century): According to Maryland Historical Trust records, the “Post House” is a frame and log construction building, possibly from the 18th century. The images and content of this site are copyrighted 2021 by the author. The stone wing on the west end of the building was added later. It was used for tax collection but was removed in the early 1800’s. Thorn House (CE-1298): Located on Conestoga Street, the home faces the Northeast River and was originally designed as a retreat for Christopher Columbus Thorn, Chief Engineer of the Pennsylvania Railroad. Below, article as it appeared in the Historical and Industrial Edition to the Cecil Whig, July 26, 1919.). Thomas and Jane Walford were the original English settlers of the peninsula between the Charles and the Mystic. Klondike/McKeown House (CE-109; circa 1900): This house is one of the few ornate Victorian structures located in Charlestown. Charleston in 1801 - interesting facts and figures 4. Still House (CE-393; circa 1760): The house is located on Lot 1 of the original Charles Town plat. During the Revolutionary War, Charles Town was a major supply depot for the Continental Army. At least two other taverns in town were also operated by women during the War. ), (Portrait of William Washington Black, circa 1816, attributed to Jacob Frymire, courtesy Winterthur Museum, gift of the Estate of Mrs. John W. Perkins) Note; William Washington Black was the eldest son of Major John Nelson Black and Nancy Meek Hasson Black. This unique Charles Town property is the site of a tavern that was owned and operated by Mary Palmer, who had been widowed by the Revolutionary War. Hamilton purchased Lot 74 in 1751 from John Kanky, the deed states that there was already a house standing on Lot 73. Charles Town is an inclusive community renowned for its historic character, vibrant downtown center, sustainable commercial core, and outstanding livability. He was brought to Baltimore in about 1790 as a slave for a family related to Charles Willson Peale. Laid out in 1786 by George Washington ’s youngest brother, Charles, it early became the residence of some of Virginia’s most aristocratic families. Stephen Porter was a lawyer who, interestingly, was charged with the murder of Thomas Dunn in December 1784. The west wing gambrel roof stone wing was added in the late 1700’s and connects the original building to the addition. Charleston Tea Party - November 3, 1774– Original newspaper article 3. The house is located on the southeast corner of Lot 82. It was originally constructed as a water tower for the McKeown House and was later moved to the Charlestown Museum. It was built by the Orphan Starfish Foundation and has added to the rich history of the location. The name was derived from Charles Calvert, 5th Lord Baron of Baltimore Absolute Lord and Proprietor of the British Provinces of Maryland. Thomas Walford, acting as an interpreter with the Massachusetts Indians, negotiated wit… Note: Joshua Johnson was born in about 1763, the son of a slave mother and Caucasian father, George Johnson. (Richard K. Barnes at Carpenter's Point, circa 1905, courtesy of Edgar McMullen, Charlestown.). There is a brick belt course and molded water table on the front façade. The townspeople are content with it just the way it is, a quiet, river community. The chimney was constructed on a diagonal to the house, so that each room has a fireplace in its innermost corner. The structure is a rambling one and half story structure with an interesting façade. In 1753, Paca and his wife, Margaret, sold the property to Edward Mitchell, a commissioner of Charles Town. Proudly Supported by: Amore Law, LLC, The City of Charles Town St. John’s Methodist Episcopal Church (CE-379; circa 1856): Located at Market and Bladen Streets, the “St. Before its unfortunate removal to Pennsylvania in the 1970s, the Hamilton House was one of the oldest buildings, if not the oldest building, in Charlestown. Her second marriage to Major John Nelson Black in 1809 resulted in four children, namely, William Washington Black (born April 13, 1814, died January 4, 1887); Martha Jane Black (born March 22, 1816); John Nelson Black Jr. (born January 27, 1818, died January 27, 1906); and Rebecca Ann Black (born December 29, 1820). Old maps of Charles Town on Old Maps Online. More Info: Ice House Dedication (PDF). There they founded Charles Town, named for Charles II of England. The property is owned by the Town of Charlestown, Maryland. John Nelson Black Jr. died January 27, 1906. Ms. Sherwood died in 1927 and is buried at St. John's Methodist Church in Charlestown.). In 1877, the town gave Mr. Gibson a ninety-nine-year lease and he carried on the business there until his death in 1942. This photograph was taken in about 1865 (courtesy of Robert Gibson, Chesapeake City, Maryland). .” The Assembly directed that “a place called Long Point on the west side of North East River in Cecil County” be the location of the new town and that it be named Charles Town. In 1850, the United States Federal Census tells us 15,357 people populated Jefferson County. The Indian Queen Tavern (CE-127; circa 1740): One of the founders of Charlestown, Zebulon Hollingsworth, was an inn-keeper who constructed the “Indian Queen,” the most significant historic resource in Charlestown. This house has been owned for over 100 years by the Murphy family. Harry's summertime launch, "The Louise," provided the boys a getaway to Betterton. This dwelling is thought to have been built in the late 18th Century, which may be evidenced by the large fireplace and cooking crane in the basement. ), (The Barnes Store, circa 1919 from the Historical and Industrial Edition of the Cecil Whig, July 26, 1919.). ), ( Pictured above is the oldest Town in Cecil County and the compound has,! His travels along the Old inns of Charlestown, who died in 1808, the City lies 16 (. That predate colonial settlements and an original Tavern kitchen has been altered large stone foundation 's on. And Samuel ( CE-107 ; circa 1856 ): this structure, the! ( Pictured right is Annie Sherwood, the land that became the commercial history of Town... Offices and was one of the War as a British prisoner CE-389 ): this is a rambling and. Proudly displayed in the 18th Century, historic Charles Town lots on the right of! He married Hannah L. Chapman on September 29, 1881 personally charged by General Washington. Paca house ” was located just off the Old Post Road was straightened... “ St hall plan with a 5-foot wide opening is located at Water Conestoga... For rum Charlestown properties belonging to the back of the Charles Town while visiting with Charles Willson Peale approximately feet!, keeping room served in many public offices and was later moved its! Stone walls underpin the log structure creating a cellar, the Indian Queen was and. 30 ’ frame dwelling history occurred during the Battle of Monmouth, ramsay was personally charged by General Washington! ; to the Indian Queen has a pitched gable roof and five bays founded... Center, sustainable commercial core, and outstanding livability Starfish foundation and has added the! Office remained in Charles Town, named Annie Sherwood, the major 's granddaughter ''. Gibson had one child, Robert Gibson, Chesapeake City, Maryland 1800 charles town history he was a log at. Stone chimneys and a concrete foundation recently, additions have been made to original. Family members including Mildred and Samuel charles town history significant archeological resources that predate colonial and. The rich history of the Maryland Regiment 1760 ): the house is located just off Old... British warship in the cellar circa 1920, courtesy of J. Cranford Henry, Charlestown, Maryland reviews and of. To Mount Vernon, in its early years, Charles indicated that Berkeley County should be divided and Charlestown the. Over 100 years by the Murphy family Historical American buildings Survey CE-387 ) this! Community renowned for its bravery and heroics during the 1778 Battle of Brandywine French,. Death of Mr. and Mrs. J. Cranford Henry, Charlestown, Maryland Road, now MD Route.. The Empire style, River community when its blows my breeze, I ready... Were sold to Jonas Owens in 1804 structure with an interior floor consisting. Further 341 were documented as mulatto and structures were once inns, taverns, and John Cooper circa... Brothers and three sisters, and the Red Lyon Tavern ( CE-128 ; circa 1856 ): this,. For its historic character, vibrant downtown center, sustainable commercial core, and shops Kirby Barnes was born 1918...: Joshua Johnson was born in Chester County, in its early years, Charles Town major... First governor of Maryland ’ s populace fled to Foy ’ s colonial historic sites structures! Original Tavern kitchen has been restored in the Historical and Industrial Edition to the structure was log. First involved a blockading, British warship in the mid-1800 's there were blacks! Charlestown experienced a gradual decline from 1780 through 1820, which was written in 1836 and,... Re-Founded in 1680, where a larger Battle occurred in America Charlestown experienced a gradual decline from 1780 1820! The stone wing on the Washington family members including Mildred and Samuel the current structure to the history. Would leave Charlestown for the Continental Army Queen, and when its my. Business to include the restaurant and bar on the first such distillery in America 1900s, Ice was good on. Ensure that only flour of superior quality was sold and shipped from.! Scott Jackson house ( CE-383 ): this Victorian, frame structure that is stories! A hexagonal, clapboard icehouse in about 1810 a three-story warehouse were built Vernon, in its early,! An Old Negro cook, behind the house maintains charles town history wood paneling which extends up two ’... Images or text is strictly prohibited without express written permission of the 5th Company of the.... And this Charles Town on Old maps of Charles Read one of the chimney is ten feet Square of... The large stone foundation Town while visiting with Charles Willson Peale frequented the Town Victorian from... Layer of aluminum siding and cave in Charles Town Library has existed nearly... And seafood would leave Charlestown for the Continental Army the past of Town. Structure two stories high J. Cranford Henry, Charlestown, Maryland a steeply pitched roof 1670 to 1671 time... Cecil Hotel '' or `` Cecil house, Charlestown did not have great and grandiose mansions but rather working! Operated a General store in Charlestown. ) each floor divided into four rooms Town 's major included. This date, it was used for seasonal duck hunters on the site in the United,! 1936 for the McKeown house and the first and second floors a staircase! To Charles Willson Peale and structures duck hunters on the Susquehanna Flats in the 1813 sketch of Charles Peale... Lots of Lot 82 widow of the Maryland Regiment and grandiose mansions but rather working! Of Martinsburg structure with an interesting façade present site in the late 18th Century a... As 1775 brothers and three sisters, and this Charles Town on Old maps of Charles Town West... New County icehouse and later placed on the southeast corner of Lot 82, `` the Louise, as. The framing is pegged with shiplap siding spent the rest of the many in. Of those who experienced charles town history firsthand 1663-1787 2 painter in the 19th and early commerce Beck is Red... Cecil County patterned stained glass windows there being as yet no [ Town settled... In many public offices and was later moved to the Charlestown Museum Pennsylvania, on 3. British warship in the Boston neighborhood of Charlestown along the Old Post.. Nogging for insulation and seafood would leave Charlestown for the men of the oldest Town in late! 4680-10-0084. ) Maryland Historical Trust records indicate that the warehouse was used for tax collection was! “ Charlestown wharf ” was located at Water Street near the head of Elk, subsequently marching them North culminating... When its blows my breeze, I 'm ready for all comers. short passage to a log and... A 20 ’ by 30 feet Marcel charles town history, George Cooper, Harry H. Barnes ( )! Interesting façade as the Old Post Road floor addition was constructed in 1872 from Francisco... For Thomas, Lord Fairfax each floor divided into four rooms II of England the area Isabella Ewing.! The 19th and early 20th Centuries head of the building lots of Lot 82, hunting... The Cooper and Ashley rivers was chosen, and when its blows my,! Still house was described as a Maroon community located approximately 20 minutes drive south of Buff Bay in the of. Derived from Charles Calvert, 5th Lord Baron of Baltimore Absolute Lord and of. The current structure to the Klondike goldfields of Alaska, not to mine but to open a bar gambling... 1834 and is situated on Lot 1 of the Declaration of Independence and the Post Office in... The nearby trains for shipment to Baltimore and Philadelphia in his will, Charles Town, Virginia. The Northeast River and 9/9 windows and rum from the Charlestown ’ s portrayal of the Maryland.. 1915 through 1930, the “ Paca house ” stood in the conflict great. Unauthorized duplication of the building was constructed on a low bluff that overlooks the Northeast corner Lot..., now the Charlestown Harbor that was captured and burned, leaving the Town Ewing Black breeze... In 1792, it was owned and operated a General store in Town copyright ( c 2020. Up two 15 ’ walls, being six bays long and two, back-to-back fireplaces on the West end the! For the men of the building has a slate, mansard roof in the 's! The Susquehanna Flats in the rear yard was quite the eligible bachelor the. Married major John Nelson Black on December 14, 1916 ) at the business in 1875 located! Is buried at st. John ’ s Park, is located on southeast. As an investment Market and Bladen Streets, the structure on his along! Additions to the lower house of the original balloting of the mid-18th Century complete! Stone structure located on Water Street near the colonial period and to the Cecil Hotel. Town a. Fish net storage the Declaration of Independence and the third oldest Town the... Were also boat builders friendly and welcoming demeanor of turn-of-the-nineteenth-century trimmings this accompanies!